Nocona Boots History
In 1925, Nocona Boots was founded by Enid Justin, the daughter of Justin Boots founder H.J. "Joe" Justin, in Nocona, Texas. Enid’s goal was to carry on his tradition of making quality western boots in the town he loved.
Mr. Justin, or "Daddy Joe," was a perfectionist with every detail of his handcraft. In 1879, he started a tradition of fine boot-making in Spanish Fort, Texas, appreciated by his cowboy customers who could order custom-fit boots that were ready to pick up after their return from cattle drives.
At the age of 12, in 1906, Enid started working in her father's shop where she remained for the next 12 years learning the fine points of the trade, absorbing his knowledge and love for handcrafted boots.
After Mr. Justin died in 1918, other members of the family wanted to move the business to Fort Worth, Texas. Enid felt so strongly her father wanted the company based in Nocona, she stayed behind when her brothers moved with the factory’s equipment in 1925.
Enid borrowed $5,000 and kept seven employees to found the Nocona Boots brand in Nocona, Texas. The discovery of oil near Nocona brought many new customers to Miss Enid’s young company. The brand made a 16-inch lace-up boot that was tough enough to survive the oil fields, and the wildcatters kept coming back for more.
In 1981, Nocona Boots merged with Justin Industries, the parent company of Justin Boots at the time, bringing the boot-making histories of the two family companies full circle.
Today, Nocona Boots still handcrafts premium cowboy boots offering collections in the Fashion, Legacy, Exotic, Western, Rancher and Competitor categories. The brand was also the first to offer cowboy boots officially licensed by The Collegiate Licensing Company, the College Boots Collection, handcrafted in the U.S.A.Nocona Boots footwear is available for men, women and children at western specialty stores across the country and online footwear retailers, including Zappos.